Thursday, March 20, 2008


Man do I love Scotland!
Here is another beautiful bottle from the land of sheep and malt. Ola Dubh (think Oila-Doob) is a super dark-roasted malt stout called 'Old Engine Oil' that has been finished in ex-Highland Park barrels. The Expression I sampled was from a 12 year old barrel and it was great. It pours heavy, almost gloopy with a fairly intense nose of toast and caramel, but drinks effortlessly with a very restrained body. There are the faintest whispers of peat which may even be my imagination, but I honestly don't care.
We have been pairing it with sweets and cheese with much success and am hoping fervently that more comes to the US. The Brewer's website, http://www.harviestoun.com/, says that more bottles in the same line are in the works. I can't wait.

No comments: