Monday, April 27, 2009

What the What?

I don't see no disitillery, do you?

I was a little shocked to read of a new Islay Malt, Port Askaig recently. I was fortunate enough to tour the little town briefly (chauffeured by Jim Mcewan no less!) a few years ago and I certainly didn't see any distilleries. Plenty of sheep, no whisky.

The Whisky Exchange (happy birthday by-the-way) explained it on the their blog..kind of. The bottle looks very Ardbegy, but the descriptions paint the picture of Bunnahabhain. I always get a signature cinnamon/citrus hit with the Bunnahabhain that is absent in the rest of Islay and makes it pretty easy to peg.

Port Askaig is pretty exciting as the distillery bottlings are all chill-filtered (i.e. neutered) and do not compare the few independent bottlings that make to California. Here's hoping that some of these bottlings make it.

2 comments:

Armin said...

Rumour has it it's Caol Ila.

Oh, and it would be nice if you at least give credit if you use other people's pictures. Or ask them for permission. That picture looks strangely familiar to me...

Neyah White said...

Appologies to Armin, yes I lifted the pic from the web and I did not pay attention to where I grabbed it.