Friday, April 03, 2009

Two New Cocktail Mag's Launch


Apparently spring is a good season to launch your beverage mag. I was alerted to two different launch parties this month for adult beverage based periodicals.

I met Daniel Jaffe in New Orleans last year in front of the Old Absinthe House at around 4:00 in the morning and vaguely remember calling him nuts for getting into the printing business in the Internet age. Nonetheless, his Drink Me has launched...and I pronounce it cool.

I met one of the guys from Mutineer Magazine in L.A. at the American Food and Wine Festival on the back lot at Universal Studios. Again, both publisher and barman were a little into our respective cups and I vaguely remember him asking me to write for him. Somehow he has been able to launch without me.

I think these guys are great. Other than Imbibe (which is 1 or 2 years old I think) drinks coverage has been coming in the form of Newspaper columns and piggy-backed into food and lifestyle magazines. This new breed of drinks publishing is pretty to look at, more than a little irreverent and just plain fun to read.



No comments: