Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Favorite Bottles: Rare Orange Bitters


I have seem to started a little collection of rare orange bitters and they all look pretty cool next to each other in the cabinet.


First up is Gordon's Orange Bitters. The label has no date, but the cap reads 'Made in Scotland' (the label reads Tanqueray, Gordon & Co. LTD. The Distillery, London, E.C.I. England.) I found this bottle in a gypsy market in Budapest so there really is no knowing how old it is. It is unopened and I have not gotten into it as it looks like it might no be resealable.


Second is Du Bouchett Orange Bitters made by Many, Blanc & Co. in Chicago Ill. I got this guy about half full so I wasn't afraid to open it for a taste...it's horrible. Again, no date of any sort, but it does have a Wisconsin Tax Stamp.


The little red guy is a Wheaton Horse Shoe mini called pure orange. Ingredients are listed as alcohol, water and oil of orange. I still tastes like orange oil too, but is pretty much gone at this point.


Finally, the blue dropper with the hand-written label is Jeff Morgenthaler's Madeira Cask-Aged Orange Bitters. I slipped this one into my pocket last year at Tales it makes for a great Manhattan.

1 comment:

sharon said...

I have the same bottle of gordons orange bitters as you but have no idea how old it is. I am in England and this bottle was bought by my father in law many years ago, but he can't remember when! Have you any idea yet on age etc for this style of bottle? Seen a 1950's version on uk ebay recently, but this is a different bottle from ours.

regards and thank you for your time

Sharon